ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Nov. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Deal, a business unit of TheStreet, has named Abbott (NYSE: ABT) as one of its Most Admired Corporate Dealmakers for the sixth consecutive year. Abbott was recognized by The Deal as the best all-around dealmaker in healthcare.
Abbott has long recognized the global shifts in healthcare and has completed a number of strategic actions that have enhanced its diversity, product offerings and geographic reach to align with long-term health trends. This year, Abbott completed its most transformative event to date – separating its proprietary research-based pharmaceuticals business, creating an independent company named AbbVie.
"Healthcare needs have never been greater or more diverse," said Miles D. White, chairman and chief executive officer, Abbott. "We've anticipated these needs and through targeted licensing, M&A and internal R&D, we've reshaped the company so it is well positioned for continued success."
In the past five years, Abbott has completed a number of acquisitions and divestitures to bolster its best-in-class product portfolio and expand its global reach.
- Separated its proprietary research-based pharmaceuticals business, creating two leading healthcare companies.
- Acquired Advanced Medical Optics and OptiMedica, adding leading eye care technology to Abbott's diverse medical products portfolio and pipeline. Purchased Vistatek, an ophthalmic surgical distributor, expanding its vision care presence in Brazil and Latin America.
- Gained access to the emerging field of non-surgical heart valve repair through the acquisition of Evalve and expanded its global peripheral artery disease technology portfolio with the purchase of IDEV Technologies.
- Diversified its established pharmaceutical portfolio and gained access to key emerging markets through the acquisition of Solvay Pharmaceuticals and Piramal Healthcare Solutions.
- Acquired 3A Nutrition, a distributor in Vietnam, a key medical and pediatric nutrition market for Abbott.