ROSWELL, Ga., Nov. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kimberly-Clark today announced the introduction of KimVent* MICROCUFF* Subglottic Suctioning Endotracheal Tube (ETT), the first subglottic suctioning ETT to be FDA cleared for saline use providing for more effective † clearing of potentially harmful clogs. 1,2,3 The MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT offers more effective † subglottic suctioning and prevention against microaspiration. It also provides more effective † prevention against cross-contamination to both patients and healthcare professionals. 1,4
Suction lumens are often clogged by subglottic secretions, preventing effective suctioning and increasing the risk for infectious secretions in the lungs, a leading cause of VAP. 5,6 MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT features an ergonomic subglottic suction valve and integrated rinse port, enabling controlled rinsing and suctioning of the lumen in a single cycle, without the need to open the suction circuit. 1 This unique feature provides for more effective † clearing. 1
"Clearing subglottic lines has been a persistent problem causing many of our respiratory therapists to disconnect the line to clear it, resulting in potential secretion exposure to both patient and the respiratory therapist," said Megan Dutch Kelley, Pulmonary Services Education Coordinator at St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. "The KIMBERLY-CLARK* MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT solves this problem with a more efficient system that enables us to keep a closed system to clear the line, protecting both patient and staff from contamination."
A recent study conducted on behalf of Kimberly-Clark by Clinimark Labs found that using saline to loosen secretions and clear the lumen is both more effective † at preventing and clearing clogs, and more efficient for suctioning secretions when compared to air bolus. 3 The same study also found MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT's unique design allows medical professionals to provide periodic saline rinsing as a preventative measure against clogging, improving suctioning effectiveness to their ventilated patients. 1,3The advanced cylindrical-shape of MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT's polyurethane cuff provides a superior tracheal seal, preventing leakage up to 93% 1† and enables the use of saline. 7 Polyurethane cuffs prevent fluid leakage, demonstrating 93% less mircroaspiration than competitive products. 1† "Kimberly-Clark is committed to helping our customers reduce the prevalence of Ventilator-Associated Events. We are steadfast in our mission to help our customers improve patient care," said Chris Lowery, Vice President of Global Medical Devices, Kimberly-Clark Health Care. "The MICROCUFF* Subglottic ETT is a breakthrough in patient safety that helps to eliminate cross contamination and leakage, and for the first time enables the use of saline for clearing the lumen." KimVent* MICROCUFF* Subglottic Suction ETT is available immediately. For further information, visit www.kchealthcare.com/products/respiratory-health †Result from bench top study comparing KimVent*MICROCUFF* Subglottic Suctioning ETT vs. TaperGuard™ EVAC ETT.
- Data on file 510K Clearance K120985.
- Data on file. Directions for Use for the Kimberly-Clark MICROCUFF Subglottic Suctioning Endotracheal Tube.
- Data on file #R2012-040. Suction Efficiency Test for Endotracheal Tubes with a Subglottic Suction Lumen.
- Freytag C.C., Thies F.L., Konig W., Welte, T. Infection, Clinical and Epidemiological Society. 31-2003-No.1.
- Dragoumanis, et. al Investigating the Failure to Aspirate subglottic secretions with EVAC Endotracheal Tube Oct 2007.
- DePew, et. al Subglottic Secretion Drainage: A Literature Review AACN V18N4 2007.
- Lorente, et. al, Influence of an Endotracheal Tube with polyurethane cuff and subglottic secretion drainage on Pneumonia, May 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV