This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Interesting January 2016 Stock Options For CTL

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is CenturyLink, Inc. (CTL). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for CTL. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $23 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.80. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 7.8% return against the $23 commitment, or a 3.6% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost CTL Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to CTL's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless CenturyLink, Inc. sees its shares decline 28.4% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $21.20 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.80 from $23), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 3.6% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of CenturyLink, Inc. (CTL) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 6.7% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $37 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.10 bid, annualizes to an additional 1.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $37 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CTL shares would have to advance 15.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 18.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost CTL Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for CenturyLink, Inc., highlighting in green where the $23 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $37 strike in red:

1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Submit an article to us!
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG

Markets

DOW 18,105.33 +81.27 0.45%
S&P 500 2,117.06 +8.77 0.42%
NASDAQ 5,028.0230 +22.6320 0.45%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs