Westar Energy (NYSE: WR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.20%. Westar Energy, Inc., an electric utility, engages in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity in Kansas. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.84. The average volume for Westar Energy has been 1,010,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Westar Energy has a market cap of $4.1 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 12.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Westar Energy as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- WESTAR ENERGY INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WESTAR ENERGY INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.14 versus $1.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.25 versus $2.14).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, WESTAR ENERGY INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- 42.17% is the gross profit margin for WESTAR ENERGY INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of WR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, WR's net profit margin of 19.15% compares favorably to the industry average.
- WR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.1%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Westar Energy Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV