The asset sales, too, have proven to be problematic. Lloyd's agreement to sell hundreds of branches to the Co-Operative Bank wound up crashing the Co-Operative, and forced it into the hands of New York hedge funds.
The bank's latest asset sale is a $1.06 billion sale of its Scottish Widows Investment Partnership, which manages $320 billion in assets, to Aberdeen Asset Management. The deal will leave Lloyd's with a 9.9% stake in Aberdeen, which in turn becomes Europe's biggest independent fund manager.
That's just part of the Scottish Widows group, however. The bank continues to own the group's life insurance, pensions and investment business. That business is being accused of moving pension funds into so-called "dud funds" without their knowledge. and was also implicated in scandals during the last decade
Despite all this, some analysts consider Lloyd's a buy. Over the last year the shares are up 78%. The reason for that is in 2013 it has once again become a moneymaker, earning over three billion British pounds, about $4.8 billion.All this is why bank regulators have such a difficult time. Our regulators are told that our banks must compete, as are their regulators. Crossing ethical and even legal lines is seen as a cost of doing business. Government ownership is no panacea.
Any wonder mistrust of banks is rampant on both sides of the Atlantic?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV