ORANGEBURG, N.Y., Nov. 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vision-Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:VSCI), a leading provider of unique flexible endoscopic products utilizing its proprietary sterile disposable EndoSheath® technology, announced today that for the fourth consecutive year, the ECRI Institute listed "Inadequate Reprocessing of Endoscopes and Surgical Instruments" among the top ten most dangerous technology hazards.
"Our EndoSheath technology pre-empts the hazard of inadequate reprocessing by encasing the flexible endoscope in a sterile, protective EndoSheath micro-barrier," said Howard Zauberman, Interim Chief Executive Officer of Vision-Sciences, Inc. "After the procedure, the user removes and disposes of the EndoSheath barrier, and the flexible endoscope is cleaned using our simple three-step cleaning process. Three recent research studies, one in cystoscopy 1 and two in the bronchoscopy setting 2, 3, demonstrated that our technology has a low risk of pathogen transmission and high patient safety.
"We applaud the ECRI Institute for its efforts to focus the attention of the medical community on the most significant current risks facing the industry. We continue to work diligently to increase our market share, and hope that over time the paradigm will shift to where all flexible endoscopic procedures in the markets we serve employ our 'always ready, always sterile' EndoSheath technology to protect patients against the hazards of inadequate endoscopic reprocessing."The ECRI Institute is a non-profit patient safety organization that publishes this annual list, available online at www.ecri.org/2014hazards. The Inadequate Reprocessing hazard is described as follows:
- Healthcare facilities clean and disinfect thousands of reusable surgical instruments and devices every day.
- Flexible endoscopes, in particular, are complex devices with narrow, hard-to-clean channels, and are therefore particularly challenging to decontaminate or "reprocess" for subsequent use.
- When reprocessing is not performed properly, however, patient cross-contamination is possible, potentially leading to the transmission of infectious agents and the spread of diseases such as hepatitis C, HIV, and tuberculosis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV