American Academy Of Ophthalmology Launches National Initiative To Benchmark And Improve Patient Care At World's Largest Ophthalmic Conference
"With the wide adoption of electronic heath records, the time is right to fully utilize the power of information technology to produce evidence-based, statistically-valid information that can help ophthalmologists determine how to improve patient care," said William L. Rich III, M.D., medical director of health policy for the American Academy of Ophthalmology. "The Academy looks forward to the moment when the registry reaches critical mass and our profession can see the full potential of its capabilities to fill many gaps in ophthalmic knowledge to improve overall quality of patient care."
The IRIS Registry is designed to integrate with any EHR system with many of the major vendors having already successfully mapped data elements. It uses proprietary software that is installed on a server in the ophthalmologist's practice that helps the IRIS Registry interface with the practice EHR in order to extract data fields for reporting.
The Academy plans for the IRIS Registry to expand its scope in the future to include functions for supporting the American Board of Ophthalmology's Maintenance of Certification Part IV Performance Improvement Modules by automating the collection of data directly from EHRs; clinical research; post-market surveillance studies of ophthalmic drugs and devices; early detection of safety signals for adverse health events; and determining changes in practice patterns.
"The potential of the IRIS Registry to deliver game-changing results for ophthalmologists and their patients is tremendous," said David W. Parke II, M.D., CEO of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. "This is why physicians in 35 states have already signed up to use this powerful database well ahead of its full roll-out. It's clear from the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response the Academy is receiving that there is a great need and desire for this kind of technology."Access to the IRIS Registry will be made widely available to U.S.-based members of the Academy by April 2014, with the first 2,000 U.S.-based Academy members who sign up to participate receiving it at no cost for the first two years. For more information about the IRIS Registry, visit aao.org/irisregistry. Notes to Editors:
- The Annual Meeting opening session, which includes the IRIS Registry discussion, will be streamed live and will also be available following the event, accessible via the AAO Virtual Meeting.
- A news conference with IRIS Registry experts and Academy leadership, including a live demonstration of the IRIS Registry, will be held on Sunday, Nov. 17, at 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. in News Conference Room 282, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans.
- For media registration information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the IRIS Registry, visit aao.org/irisregistry.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts