Replace Life Sciences bulletpoint with the following: Life Sciences:
, MD, President and CEO of NPS Pharmaceuticals, recognized for leading NPS from dire circumstances to a thriving, $2.5+ billion market cap life sciences company in a very short period of time
Hamid Moghadam, CEO and Chairman of Prologis, named National EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™ 2013 Overall Award winner
Moghadam honored for anticipating and taking action to respond to the developing market trends
, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Hamid Moghadam, CEO and Chairman of
, has been named the
National EY Entrepreneur Of The Year™
2013 Overall Award winner
. The EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Award is the country's most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. The award encourages entrepreneurial activity and recognizes leaders and visionaries who demonstrate innovation, financial success and personal commitment as they create and build world-class businesses.
Moghadam was honored not only for his ability to see trends, but for having the courage to do something about them. He was honored at the Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards gala, the culminating event of the
EY Strategic Growth Forum®
Palm Springs, Calif.
The Forum is the nation's premier gathering of high-growth, market-leading companies. Awards were given in 10 additional categories.
The EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Award winners were selected by an independent panel of judges and from more than 250 regional award recipients.
"Entrepreneurship is embedded in this industrial logistics real estate firm's DNA by design. Moghadam created a decentralized structure that allows his company to combine a global reach with a strong local presence — and to give back to communities all over the world," said
, EY Americas Director, Entrepreneur Of The Year.
Moghadam was recognized with the Real Estate, Construction and Lodging category award, besting the other category winners to take home top honors. In addition to Moghadam, the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2013 winners include:
- Media, Entertainment and Communications: Tom Bedecarre, Founder and Chairman of AKQA, recognized for bringing the skills of both an ad agency and technology web development together to create something new almost 13 years ago and being a pioneer in a now thriving industry
- Retail and Consumer Products: Nicholas Woodman, Founder and CEO of GoPro, recognized for developing a high-definition video camera for extreme sports that has evolved into one of the most engaged brands in social media today
- Distribution and Manufacturing: Paul Jones, Executive Chairman of A.O. Smith Corporation, recognized for bringing the 139-year-old manufacturing company to the next level of innovative strategy, business approach and service offerings
- Emerging: Will Dean, Founder and CEO of Tough Mudder, recognized for his vision to create an innovative and spirited obstacle course that is now the premier adventure challenge series designed to test the participants' overall strength, stamina, mental grit and camaraderie
- Energy, Cleantech and Natural Resources: Dr. Peter M. Duncan, President and CEO of MicroSeismic Inc., recognized for having the vision to carve out a niche in an industry dominated by more invasive and environmentally damaging technologies such as downhole monitoring wells
- Financial Services: Harris H. Simmons, Chairman, President and CEO of Zions Bancorporation, recognized for creating market-centric banks with strong local leadership teams capable of being ultra-responsive to customer needs
- Life Sciences: Francois Nader, MD, President and CEO of NPS Pharmaceuticals, recognized for leading NPS from dire circumstances to a thriving, $2.5+ billion market cap life sciences company in a very short period of time
- Services: Spencer Rascoff, CEO of Zillow, recognized for overcoming initial industry reluctance to create a breakthrough service offering – an online marketplace that empowers customers to make smarter decisions about real estate
- Technology: Tony Aquila, Founder and CEO of Solera Holdings, recognized for his intensity and vision to transform the automotive insurance claims industry
, CEO and President of
Ascena Retail Group, Inc.,
was honored with the Family Business Award of Excellence, recognized for building a company with multiple retail brands.
Hamid Moghadam: location, location, location ... and timing
It's often said that success in real estate is all about location, location, location, but that's only partly true. It's also about timing the market. By anticipating and then taking action to respond to developing market trends, Moghadam has guided Prologis through three decades of sometimes turbulent economic conditions. In fact, his timing was impeccable in 2011 when, as CEO of AMB Property Corporation, he merged with his former competitor to form the company that now ranks as the world's largest owner, developer and operator of industrial logistics real estate – and assets have tripled since the merger.
And Moghadam didn't just get lucky with timing the Prologis merger – AMB became profitable and even successfully anticipated the collapse of the office building market in the late 1980s. Moghadam recognized that changing demographics, combined with overbuilding in office complexes, would lead to soaring vacancy rates. He redirected AMB's investments to focus on industrial parks and shopping centers. That decision positioned AMB to thrive during the 1990s and set the stage for the company's IPO in 1997.