5 Gift Cards To Avoid For Holiday Shopping
When your archaic business is only alive because a company wants to squeeze the last dying breath out of CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs, the future isn't bright..
Last year, our ratings folks just loved that FYE's parent company Trans World Entertainment (TWMC) closed stores and cut net losses. But sales are still down, as a wave of nostalgia hasn't quite swept up discs just yet.It's a fundamentally different world than the one that existed when Trans World bought up music chains including Camelot, Coconuts, Media Play, Sam Goody, Strawberries and Wherehouse Music and subsequently ground them into dust. Generation Y's penchant for stealing music online altered the marketplace, made it almost exclusively online and digital and pretty much ensured no one would pay $15 for a CD again. Meanwhile, on-demand and streaming services shut down Blockbuster and Suncoast outlets and changed the digitally downloaded movie from a combo pack's cheap throw in to the main even on Amazon and Apple iTunes sites. FYE is no closer to fueling a '90s disc revival than it was last year, but go ahead and give the kids a gift certificate to spend a day at the retail museum. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV