NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- How long will it take to sell your home? No one knows for sure, but it might well find a buyer faster than a year ago.
Zillow (Z), the online home marketplace, says the average home sold on its site in September took 86 days, down from 116 a year earlier. That's a pretty significant improvement that says the market is getting better.
The time, of course, varies widely. In the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento, the average home sold in 48 and 59 days, respectively. In New York City, the average took 151 days, and in Kansas City, Mo., the figure was 136. But the times were down in all 30 major metropolitan areas surveyed.
"The declining inventory of for-sale homes over the past year naturally creates pressure for buyers to more quickly snap up the inventory that is on the market," Zillow Chief Economist Dr. Stan Humphries says. "This demand has been fueled by huge
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV