Peak Coal Argument Gets on a Short Timeline, With Your Investment
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The arguing over peak coal could be resolved within 10 to 20 years, since that's about how much recoverable coal reserves the United States has, according to an estimate in a report by Clean Energy Action.
Of course, that's a dramatic contrast with estimates by the Energy Information Administration, which says there are enough recoverable coal reserves to keep the country powered for the next two centuries.
The organization says the U.S. hit "peak coal" in 2008, and that coal production and profits have been on a relative downslide since.
"The fundamental fact is that most of the coal in the U.S. is buried too deeply to be accessed easily and we are rapidly approaching the end of accessible U.S. coal deposits that can be mined profitably," said Dr. Zane Selvans, geologist and assistant director of research at the organization, in a press release.The idea is nothing new. In early 2009, the environmental news website Grist reported on a possible 10- to 20-year timeline for recoverable coal reserves as based on reports by the U.S. Geological Survey and National Research Council. said "it is not possible to confirm the often-quoted assertion that there is a sufficient supply for the next 250 years." Likewise, CEA asserted in its recent report that the position that there are 200 billion tons of coal reserves do not consider updated economic factors affecting the ability to harvest most of those reserves. It referred to the recent financial strain affecting many U.S. coal companies, noting that it is "unclear whether they will be able to support the increased capital and labor costs associated with mining coal that is more difficult to access."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV