Vice and virtue
Remember what we said about DVD rentals and niches? Well here are both ends of the spectrum.
Netflix may not think much of its DVD-by-mail service anymore, but the Christian film industry and the adult film industry certainly do. Dissatisfied with the lack of all but the softest porn on Netflix and apparently unimpressed with the Internet's trove of video offerings, the reliably loyal contingent of adult film watchers fuels a DVD-by-mail industry spanning a variety of sites including SugarDVD, Excalibur Films and others. It's an industry that thrives on its subcategories, so a DVD-by-mail market that prides itself on discretion is only a natural addition to an already thriving enterprise.On the other side of the coin is ChristianCinema, which eschews the overwhelming majority of mainstream offerings in favor of what it considers more wholesome fare. Somehow, the story of General Stonewall Jackson and a copy of Disney's Up -- a film in which an older gentleman kidnaps a boy scout and kills a man by dropping him off of an airship to his death -- slipped into the mix, but the site largely accomplishes its goal of avoiding Hollywood at all costs. These are two groups that exist in diametric opposition to each other, but their commitment to watching content that the mainstream abhors using a method that doesn't require them to leave the safety of home may just save the DVD-by-mail industry. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV