Welcome to the largest video-store chain in America.
With 770 stores throughout the U.S. (mostly in the Midwest) and Canada, Family Video was bigger than Blockbuster even before the latter shut down. In fact, Family Video just added 18 stores this year and makes clear on its website that it's actually hiring.What's the secret? Basically, don't sell out the original idea. Family Video just kept plugging away with the standard video store when Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Movie Gallery, West Coast Video and all of the other retail video tombstones started freaking out about the coming digital apocalypse. With rental prices capped around $3 per rental, free rentals for kids, a forgiving and negotiable late fee policy, the chain has watched same-store sales increase for three decades. They're already up 4.5% in 2013 from last year. This is what you can do when you don't have Viacom or Carl Icahn breathing down your neck to cut costs and maximize profits, but it's also a bit easier when you're not leasing hundreds of properties across the country. Family Video owns most of its stores, which reduces overhead, but its pricing and well-targeted demographics have given its stability that an unstable Blockbuster could only have dreamed of.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV