NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Brittany Umar is taking a look at the commodity reaction following the dovish comments Thursday by Federal Reserve chairwoman nominee Janet Yellen.
Yellen said that the Fed would not be in a hurry to begin tapering its quantitative easing program, essentially eliminating worries over a sooner-than-expected tapering date.
Gold prices were higher on Thursday, but have largely remained flat on Friday, Umar said.
Crude oil also jumped slightly higher, despite seeing its eighth consecutive weekly rise in inventories.
The U.S. also produced more oil than it imported for the first time since 1995, she said.
Exxon Mobil (XOM) was slightly higher on Friday, while ConocoPhillips (COP) was slightly lower.
However, this was not due to the price of crude oil. Instead, XOM was higher on news that Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (BRK.B) accumulated a 40.1 million share position, while reducing its position in COP, Umar concluded.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV