AuRico Gold (NYSE: AUQ) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. AuRico Gold Inc. operates as a gold producer with mines and projects in North America. The company's core operations include the Young-Davidson gold mine in Northern Ontario, Canada; and the El Chanate mine in Sonora State, Mexico. The average volume for AuRico Gold has been 3,126,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. AuRico Gold has a market cap of $976.1 million and is part of the metals & mining industry. Shares are down 51.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates AuRico Gold as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AURICO GOLD INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, AURICO GOLD INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.44 versus $0.04 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 57.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $34.54 million to $14.86 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, AURICO GOLD INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 50.49%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 60.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- The gross profit margin for AURICO GOLD INC is rather high; currently it is at 60.93%. Regardless of AUQ's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AUQ's net profit margin of 27.36% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full AuRico Gold Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts