SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Nov. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Two General Dynamics C4 Systems-developed AN/PRC-155 two-channel Manpack radios successfully completed secure voice and data calls from Alaska and the Arctic Circle, using the Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) waveform to connect with the MUOS satellite and ground communications network. The demonstration's success is a significant operational milestone for the PRC-155 Manpack radio.
"Exposed to sub-freezing temperatures and blistering arctic winds, the PRC-155 Manpack radio is the first and only military radio to deliver secure voice and data connectivity with the MUOS system from the highest latitudes on the planet," said Chris Marzilli, president of General Dynamics C4 Systems. "The success of this demonstration proves that with a MUOS-capable PRC-155 Manpack radio, soldiers operating in extreme and isolated locations will always be connected to the Soldier's Network."
The demonstration took place in mid-October and covered a number of realistic operational scenarios that included fixed-site locations around Anchorage and Barrow, Alaska and aboard aircraft flying throughout the Arctic Circle. During the demonstration, the PRC-155 two-channel radio completed multiple one-to-one voice and data calls as well as conference calls connecting more than five participants.
Reaching the MUOS satellite communications network from high latitudes is particularly challenging due to the physics associated with how radio signals reach the MUOS satellites in geosynchronous orbit around the equator.Other performance milestones demonstrating the AN/PRC-155 two-channel Manpack radio's connectivity with the MUOS satellite communications network include:
- August 2013: For the first time, General Dynamics C4 Systems connected a soldier's handheld AN/PRC-154 Rifleman radio to the on-orbit MUOS satellite via a two-channel AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio
- April 2013: Completed secure radio-to-radio voice and data communications tests through the MUOS satellite network
- February 2012: The first demonstration of secure voice and data communications to a MUOS satellite simulator using the MUOS waveform via the AN/PRC-155 Manpack radio
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV