KeyCorp's stock closed at $12.95 Thursday, returning 56% this year. The shares trade for 1.3 times their reported Sept. 30 tangible book value of $9.92, and for 12.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.02, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2015 EPS estimate is $1.12.
Despite the stock's stellar return this year -- outperforming the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX), which was up 29% through Thursday -- KeyCorp still trades at a 27% discount to regional bank peers, based on year-end book value estimates and JPMorgan's 2014 EPS estimates, according to Alexopoulos.
"KEY is on a brief list of relatively inexpensive banks on TBV and EPS, is buying back stock, and pointed in the direction of improved ROEs over time," he wrote.
JPMorgan estimates KeyCorp will see 6% loan growth during 2014, with an 8% increase in operating earnings.Shares of Cleveland-based KeyCorp were were down slightly in early trading Friday, to $12.90. KEY data by YCharts Interested in more on KeyCorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV