KeyCorp's stock closed at $12.95 Thursday, returning 56% this year. The shares trade for 1.3 times their reported Sept. 30 tangible book value of $9.92, and for 12.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.02, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2015 EPS estimate is $1.12.
Despite the stock's stellar return this year -- outperforming the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX), which was up 29% through Thursday -- KeyCorp still trades at a 27% discount to regional bank peers, based on year-end book value estimates and JPMorgan's 2014 EPS estimates, according to Alexopoulos.
"KEY is on a brief list of relatively inexpensive banks on TBV and EPS, is buying back stock, and pointed in the direction of improved ROEs over time," he wrote.
JPMorgan estimates KeyCorp will see 6% loan growth during 2014, with an 8% increase in operating earnings.Shares of Cleveland-based KeyCorp were were down slightly in early trading Friday, to $12.90. KEY data by YCharts Interested in more on KeyCorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV