"The plan would, in our view, short circuit ongoing efforts in Congress to change the mortgage finance system and deal with the GSEs. We think the Administration wants to give those efforts a chance to succeed," KBW analyst Brian Gardner said in a report.
Gardner adds that the fact that the private investors would get to keep all the "attractive" parts of the GSEs will be politically unpalatable.
"Even if FHFA and the Administration were disposed to accepting this type of plan, and we do not think they are, we believe any sale of GSE assets would be subject to some kind of auction or competitive bidding process. In our view, such a process would require an administrative rule writing and public comment period. Neither the Volcker rule nor the risk retention/QRM rules are finished over three years after Dodd-Frank was passed, so it does not require much imagination to see such a rule writing/auction process taking several years to conduct," wrote Gardner.
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV