FAIRLAWN, Ohio, Nov. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- OMNOVA Solutions Inc. (NYSE: OMN) today announced that it is updating earnings guidance for the fourth quarter and full year ending November 30, 2013.
The Company now expects reported GAAP earnings per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2013 will be approximately $0.16 to $0.18 per diluted share, significantly above the $0.01 per diluted share for the fourth quarter a year ago, and slightly below the $0.19 per diluted share third quarter 2013 results.
The previously forecasted fourth quarter 2013 results are now expected to be negatively impacted by several items:
- Engineered Surfaces' Minhang, China coated fabrics facility experienced a major typhoon-related flood in early October. Through diligent efforts by OMNOVA's global associates, the plant is now operating again; however, it will take additional time to return to normalized manufacturing, inventory and sales levels. The Company is compiling its claim costs related to the flood and expects to receive insurance recovery proceeds in 2014. Customers are now being fully serviced, and the impact is not expected to continue into 2014.
- The Performance Chemicals operation in Ningbo, China, declared force majeure to customers of its antioxidant products after a sudden and unanticipated raw material supply disruption. The Company anticipates it will be manufacturing product for only two of the final seven weeks of the quarter, but alternative raw material supply is being secured and the Company does not believe that the impact will continue into 2014.
- Performance Chemicals' paper chemical volumes and margins are lower than expected, due to slower ramp-up of new volume wins and lower pricing. However, the Company has successfully negotiated a new two-year contract with its largest paper customer in advance of the contract expiration date.
- Raw material costs are expected to be higher in the fourth quarter – driven by a 27% increase in butadiene – and the Company does not believe these costs will be completely passed on to customers in the quarter.
- The Company now expects higher health care costs in the quarter due to higher claims in its employer-sponsored plan.
These items are expected to be partially offset by a one-time gain on the asset sale of a previously idled plant in China and projected lower effective tax rates in several countries.Additionally, the Company now estimates that full-year 2013 Adjusted Income from Continuing Operations, which excludes certain items, will be in the range of $22.5 million to $24.5 million, compared to $28.5 million in 2012. "While fourth quarter 2013 results are now expected to be lower than we previously forecasted, we expect them to be well above last year's fourth quarter. We continue to work on a number of key structural improvements in Performance Chemicals and Engineered Surfaces that should positively contribute to future results. Included in those improvements are the recent start-up of new specialty chemicals capacity in China, emulsion polymer and engineered surfaces manufacturing footprint consolidation in the U.S., and several exciting new product launches," said Kevin McMullen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. NON-GAAP FINANCIAL INFORMATION This Press Release includes a reference to Adjusted Income From Continuing Operations, which is a non-GAAP financial measure as defined by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Management reviews adjusted financial measures in assessing the performance of the business segments and in making decisions regarding the allocation of resources to the business segments. Management also believes that this adjusted information is useful for providing investors with an understanding of the Company's business and operating performance. In determining Adjusted Income from Continuing Operations, Management excludes income and losses resulting from certain items because Management does not consider such items to be reflective of normal operations. Such items include restructuring and severance, facility closures and production transfers (including related accelerated depreciation, asset impairment and transition costs), asset sales, natural disasters, raw material supply disruptions and other similar items. This adjusted financial measurement is not a measurement of financial performance under GAAP and should not be considered as an alternative to Income From Continuing Operations, Net Income, Diluted Earnings Per Share or other measures of financial performance determined in accordance with GAAP. This non-GAAP financial measure may not be comparable to similarly titled measures reported by other companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV