NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What do Finisar (FNSR), Jabil Circuit (JBL), Ciena (CIEN) and Riverbed Technology (RVBD) have in common? They were all battered during Thursday trading and they each have Cisco (CSCO) to blame.
Cisco shares plunged 10.8% to $21.40 after second-quarter guidance disappointed Wall Street. For the quarter ending January, the San Jose-based business forecast net income between 45 cents and 47 cents a share on revenue in the range of $10.89 billion to $11.13 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had consensus of 52 cents a share on $12.6 billion.
The prediction quarterly revenue would fall between 8% and 10% didn't bode well with Cisco's suppliers, Finisar and Jabil Circuit, the former which supplies Cisco with optical components and the latter semiconductors. Finisar shares dropped 7.4% to $21.68, while Jabil fell 3.9% to $19.87.
Competitors Ciena and Riberbed weren't spared the sell-off after Cisco credited weak sales to diminishing demand in formerly lucrative emerging markets, such as Latin America and Africa. Ciena plummeted 7.1% to $21.86 and Riverbed shed 5.8% to $17.94.TheStreet Ratings team rates Cisco Systems Inc as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and attractive valuation levels. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CSCO Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FNSR Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JBL Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CIEN Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RVBD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV