The buyer paid $0.74 for nearly 125,000 contracts to open the position, and 'tied' the trade to a delta hedge of 4.12 million shares at $14.45. The delta tie is a common way to eliminate a big part of the slippage that would occur if the trader tried to buy the calls outright. While BAC isone of the most liquid stocks in the market (nearly 139 million shares of BAC trade daily), a purchase of 4 million shares would still tend to move the market a good amount. So when the option trader also executes the delta hedge he or she is able to get the best market possible from their broker. If the trader really only wanted the options, they can then take their time working out of the stock. Or if this is a 'stock replacement trade' they may have just traded their large holding for an option position that starts out with a very similar payoff profile.
BAC shares are up nearly 1% this morning, to $14.75 and this call buyer is already looking at a $0.10 gain (over a million bucks!) on the options position. Shares have had a good run over the past two years -- nearly tripling from $5 lows, but they are still well below 2010 highs which were near 20 (and don't even ask about pre-2008 share price). In my view, a position this size is a very clear wager for BAC shares to continue their run, despite some growing sentiment that maybe the 20+% increase for the broad market may be growing tired.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV