PARIS, Nov. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and China Mobile have today announced that Alcatel-Lucent's all-IP Evolved Packet Core portfolio has been selected to support the nationwide rollout of China Mobile's 4G LTE network, set to be the world's largest mobile ultra-broadband network.
The Alcatel-Lucent Evolved Packet Core (EPC) is a high-capacity IP solution that sits at the heart of a mobile network. Consisting of the three platforms – data, mobility and policy – it provides an essential link between the end user and the scope of mobile communications they might wish to make use of.
China Mobile has awarded Alcatel-Lucent 24 percent of its overall EPC network, making Alcatel-Lucent the primary EPC supplier for the entire 4G LTE network. In September 2013, China Mobile selected Alcatel-Lucent to deploy 11% of their new LTE network, consisting of more than 200,000 TD-LTE base stations, by the end of 2013.
China is now the world's largest market for mobile data services and smartphones, increasing at a rate of more than 50 percent each year.Key facts :
- Alcatel-Lucent has been awarded contract covering 24 percent of the Evolved Packet Core network needed by China Mobile to support its nationwide 4G LTE network.
- Under the contract, Alcatel-Lucent will provide a solution consisting of:
- China Mobile (CMCC) has more than 750 million subscribers, which accounts for more than 60 percent of the total mobile subscriptions in the country. CMCC is deploying TD-LTE to help meet the ever-increasing demand for mobile Internet, video and data in the world's largest smartphone market.
- Alcatel-Lucent's supply of the Evolved Packet Core to China Mobile underlines the focus of The Shift Plan, the company's industrial repositioning as a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
- Blog: What is the Evolved Packet Core and why should you care? http://bit.ly/18Hkjaz
- Managing LTE Core Network Signaling Traffic http://bit.ly/1dfrKsS
- YouTube video: Getting to the Core of LTE - http://bit.ly/1acN92P
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts