NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When you look at momentum stocks -- stocks that continue higher even though they may be overvalued fundamentally and overbought technically -- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) has been the leader since Oct. 1 gaining 26.3% since then. Priceline.com (PCLN) is right behind and set an all-time high yesterday.
Meanwhile, Tesla Motors (TSLA) -- the biggest gainer over the last 12 months up 338.7% -- is down 28.1% since Oct. 1 as the stock's weekly chart profile shifted to negative at the end of October.
On Oct. 2, I wrote Apple, Google Lag Momentum Stocks and since then Apple (AAPL) gained 6.7% but in the process was downgraded to hold from buy according to www.ValuEngine.com. After Google (GOOG) reported its third quarter results the stock regained its momentum and beat Apple to the $1,000 a share price threshold.
On Oct. 28, I wrote A Closer Look at Apple, Google and 5 Really Big Stocks Over $200 when I added Chipotle and Priceline.com to my list of momentum stocks.On Wednesday three of the five major equity averages set new intra-day all-time highs. Dow Industrial Average reached 15,822.98 and became overbought on its weekly chart and is 2.2% from its monthly risky level at 16,162 and 4.2% from its semiannual risky level at 16,490 and is up 20.7% year to date. The S&P 500 made it to 1782.00 just 1.2% from its monthly risky level at 1802.00 and 4.1% from its quarterly risky level at 1853.80 and is up 24.8% year to date. Dow transports reached 7,143.31 and is just 0.9% from its quarterly risky level at 7205 and is the year to date leader up 34.6%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV