Updated from 6:54 p.m. ET, Wednesday, to add further details and video analysis.
You might also recall that I had a bit of trouble swallowing the notion that a piece of hardware produced by lowly Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and supported by price-warring Google (GOOG) could compete, at any level with Apple (AAPL), let alone "kill" the company.
I expressed these thoughts in the not-quite-as-popular HP's $279 Hotel Lobby Laptop That's Going to Kill Apple.Well, word out just moments ago from CNBC indicates that Google and HP have recalled the Apple-killing Chromebook due to overheating power supply issues. As one of my Twitter (TWTR) followers, Ottawa media personalty John Brenner, put it:
@Rocco_TheStreet Sounds like low end = dead end.— John Brenner (@BrnrJohn) November 13, 2013To that end, this is nothing short of devastating news for Google and HP: Tech Website The Verge first reported, midday Wednesday, that Best Buy (BBY) store managers received "urgent instructions" to stop selling the $279 laptop -- Chromebook 11 -- effective immediately. An HP spokesperson told The Verge that only "a small number of user reports' led to the decision to cease Chromebook 11 sales for the time being. Chromebook 11 owners should not use the charger supplied with the device. Again, hardly a welcome development for a company (Google) attempting to corner a significant chunk of the computer market and another (HP) making desperate attempts at something resembling relevancy. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV