Yum! Brands (NYSE: YUM), the parent company of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, announced today that it is directing $1.5 million from its World Hunger Relief global effort to provide food to families affected by the recent typhoon in the Philippines. The funds will help the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) feed those in urgent need of food assistance.
Typhoon Haiyan devastated the impoverished nation of 96 million people. According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, 9.6 million people are affected across 41 provinces, with more than 615,000 people displaced. These preliminary figures will likely increase as more information becomes available.
“The situation in the Philippines is devastating and our sympathies go out to everyone impacted by the typhoon,” said David Novak, Chairman and CEO, Yum! Brands, Inc., “The $1.5 million that we are sending will provide more than six million meals to those in need.”
The WFP is on the ground in the Philippines providing much needed assistance to those affected in the region. Their efforts will ensure that 2.5 million people receive food, logistics and emergency telecommunications over the next six months. To support WFP’s relief effort, please visit: www.wfp.org/typhoon.“Because the early days of a disaster response are so critical in saving lives, these additional resources from Yum! will help ensure we can reach those who need assistance most,” says WFP Philippines Country Director Praveen Agrawal. “This donation at this particular moment will help avert hunger in people who have already suffered so much – and it shows the important role the private sector can play in alleviating hunger.” With more than 385 restaurants in the Philippines, Yum! is providing up to $50,000 through its Yum! Family Fund to help employees and their families affected by the storm get assistance and rebuild their lives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV