5 Ways to Keep Your Heating Bills Low This Winter
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, more than 90% of American households will see higher energy bills this winter. The EIA says the total cost for natural gas heat this year will climb 13%, to $679. Homes with electric heat (38% of the total housing stock) will fare better, as prices will climb by only 2%.
Either way, homeowners and renters who handle their own utility bills should take steps to keep heating costs down -- even before the weather really turns cold.
"Consumers should be spending more for holiday presents, not for energy bills," said David Holt, president of the Houston-based Consumer Energy Alliance. "With a proper federal energy policy, these harsh weather forecasts that are being predicted for many parts of the country should not also pinch American families by increasing heating costs.""For a family on a fixed budget, increased energy costs are no small matter," he says. "The good news is there are steps consumers can take to offset high heating costs": Take full advantage of the sun. Open the shades on the windows facing the sun in your home. That allows "natural heating" to take place. At night, close them to keep that natural heat inside. Seal drafty windows. The CEA says open, drafty windows are a real wallet-drainer in cold weather. "Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during the cold winter months," the group says. "Make sure the plastic is sealed tightly to the frame to help reduce cold air from getting in."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV