NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Debra Borchard is alongside Brittany Umar and contributor Ted Reed, taking a look at Wednesday morning's notable headlines.
While it may have seemed unlikely a few months ago, American Airlines and U.S. Airways Group (LCC) have come to a merger agreement with the Department of Justice.
Reed said that the merger should add stability to the market and help lower fares -- a win for the DOJ.
The merger is expected to have its share of "bumps" like all mergers do, Reed added. Airline stocks have run up tremendously in 2013, which makes it hard to determine if the merger will aid in pushing them much higher.
Reed concluded that lower oil prices should also help reduce fare prices, a win for the U.S. consumer.Turning to retail, Umar pointed out Target's (TGT) Black Friday shopping deals. The store will open at 8 p.m. EST on Thanksgiving Day, and sales will carry on from Nov. 28th through Nov. 30th. Reed said the Apple (AAPL) 16gb iPad Air will be starting at $479 -- $20 lower than retail -- and come with a $100 gift card, while the iPad Mini starts at $299 and comes with a $75 gift card. The iPhone 5S will also be $20 off, starting at $179, and come with a $30 gift card, while the 16gb iPod Touch will come with a $50 gift card. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV