Trade-Ideas: Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Green Mountain Coffee Roasters as such a stock due to the following factors:
- GMCR has 11x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 11.60 mentions/day.
- GMCR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $197.8 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GMCR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GMCR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on GMCR: Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. engages in the specialty coffee and coffeemaker businesses in the United States and Canada. GMCR has a PE ratio of 20.6. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Green Mountain Coffee Roasters a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters has been 4.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters has a market cap of $9.0 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and food & beverage industry. The stock has a beta of -0.06 and a short float of 43.3% with 11.73 days to cover. Shares are up 45% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Green Mountain Coffee Roasters as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- GMCR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.12 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.46, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- GREEN MTN COFFEE ROASTERS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GREEN MTN COFFEE ROASTERS increased its bottom line by earning $2.28 versus $1.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.25 versus $2.28).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Food Products industry. The net income increased by 58.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $73.30 million to $116.27 million.
- 48.48% is the gross profit margin for GREEN MTN COFFEE ROASTERS which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.02% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV