UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced its $1 million pledge in support for recovery efforts in the Philippines following the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan. The pledge is a combination of cash grants, in-kind transportation movements and technical expertise to provide urgent relief as well as strategic support for the long-term needs.
“UPS and its partners quickly moved our Global Humanitarian Relief Program to urgent response mode and together have set into motion a multi-faceted relief effort,” said Eduardo Martinez, president of The UPS Foundation. “We are immediately contributing $500,000 to provide urgent relief. We will monitor progress and on-going needs and will contribute an additional $500,000 later to support the near-term recovery needs of these communities.”
UPS’s financial and in-kind contribution for urgent response totaling $500,000 is comprised of several grant recipients:
- The World Food Programme (wfp.org) for urgent needs in mobilizing its Logistics Emergency Team (LETs) program, up to $250,000.
- United Nations Children’s Fund (unicef.org) to receive $100,000 to assist the 1.7 million children impacted.
- CARE (care.org) to receive $100,000 to address short-term sheltering and food insecurity.
- Salvation Army (salvationarmy.org) is activating the remaining $30,000 UPS gave to its emergency fund earlier this year.
- Medshare (medshare.org) to receive $20,000 for medical supplies to equip medical mission teams.
UPS will also commit at least $500,000 in additional financial support over the coming months to help speed long-term recovery efforts in the Philippines. The company is currently working with its humanitarian relief program partners to assess recovery needs in local communities.Moreover, UPS has assigned Oliver Bartolo to the UN World Food Programme’s Logistics Emergency Team in the Philippines to assist the Global Logistics Cluster to coordinate relief efforts to areas hardest hit by the typhoon. The company is also in close coordination with its local operations people as well as with key customers in order to help facilitate a more efficient response to relief efforts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV