PITTSBURGH, Nov. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Each year, more than 40 percent of Americans, across all generations, make New Year's Resolutions. Many want to improve their health or travel more in the new year. Others seek to fix their finances. Sadly, only 8 percent of people who set New Year's Resolutions actually achieve success.
A recent PNC Survey of more than 3,000 millennials identified savings and budgeting as their biggest financial issues. Fifty-six percent found it difficult to stick to a budget, while 65 percent had trouble consistently saving.
"The PNC Virtual Wallet team understands the financial pitfalls individuals face throughout the year," said Mike Ley, senior vice president of digital experience, The PNC Financial Services Group. "Saving and budgeting go hand in hand. Millennials can't be successful in one and not the other. These financial resolution tips were developed with the Virtual Wallet customer in mind."
For millennials focused on fixing their finances in 2014, PNC offers the following tips:
- Track your finances like the seasons: First things first – get organized. Keep a calendar, ideally through your bank account. Track money coming in and out of your account daily, weekly or monthly. This helps you better understand where you are financially throughout the month and accurately gauge how much additional money you can set aside in your savings.
- Save without thinking: Create automatic savings rules within your account to increase your savings around important bank transactions each month. It takes little time to set up and streamlines the savings process. Move $25 into your savings every pay period or $10 into your savings after you set up monthly bill pay. Regardless of the amount, save at a point in the month that fits your financial needs. Be the boss of your account and make it work for you.
- Obey your budget: Use categories to compare expenses month-to-month. Use that information to take note of what you are spending money to buy. Eating out too much, or grabbing a $3 coffee midmorning at work? Skipping that extra cup of Joe can save you $60 a month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV