Are Americans Still Serving Up Family Dinners?
NEW YORK, Nov. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With America's most visible family meal – Thanksgiving – just around the corner, the tradition of the family dinner appears alive and well – though some report their household isn't making time for it as often as they recall from their childhood.
Among Americans who live with at least one family member (including a spouse or a partner), the vast majority (86%) say they sit down to a "family dinner," with most or all of their household sitting down to dinner together, at least once a week. Furthermore, nearly six in ten (58%) report sitting down to such meals at least four times per week. However, there is nonetheless a sentiment that such family meals are in decline, with 59% saying their family today has fewer family dinners than when they were growing up.
- Matures (81%) are more likely to report having four or more family dinners per week than Baby Boomers (62%), who are in turn more likely to do so than either Gen Xers (50%) or Echo Boomers (52%). The same progression is evident when honing in specifically on likelihood to have family dinners every night (61% Matures, 37% Baby Boomers, 24% Gen Xers, 23% Echo Boomers).
- While the image of the family dinner might bring to mind parents and children gathering around the table to rehash their days, today's kids lead busy lives – which may be contributing to the fact that those in households with out children are more likely to report sitting down to family dinners every night (36% without, 26% with).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV