SAN JOSE, Calif.
Nov. 13, 2013
Extreme Networks, Inc.
(NASDAQ: EXTR) today announced the expansion of its Open Fabric data center solutions, delivering performance and investment protection for customers with purpose built solutions. The company today launched the Summit® X770, a highly scalable Top of Rack (TOR) switch that offers the industry's highest port density of 10GbE and advanced scalability, programmability and robust software features addressing Big Data and the cloud.
, Big Data investments in 2013 continued to rise, with 64 percent of organizations investing or planning to invest in Big Data technology compared with 58 percent in 2012. The trends for customers to harvest valuable information through Big Data initiatives, and to build out virtualized cloud infrastructures, are driving the need for more robust bandwidth and resilient fabric networks, where Petabytes of data and converged traffic are stored and transferred over latency-sensitive infrastructures.
Big Data positively impacts a wide array of industries. For example, the medical field uses data sets such as the
Genetics Home Reference
to map specific genes and chromosomes to genetic conditions. In addition, by analyzing real-time tweets and social media feeds, companies are able to predict the direction of a hurricane as well as sentiment mining for product placements.
In order to support robust bandwidth while supporting collapsed and efficient network designs, Extreme Networks new Summit® X770 fabric switches support TRILL for lossless performance and resiliency, features front to back (or back to front) cooling and redundant n+1 power supplies. The Summit® X770 and the ExtremeXOS combine the following innovations:
- Industry leading performance – first to support 104 wire-speed 10GbE ports in 1RU
- 32 40GbE Ports in 1RU for switch interconnections, and ultra-fast HPC server connectivity
- TRILL for Layer 2 multipath and multi-hop routing resulting in resilient, penalty free operation
- Low latency of less than 600 nanoseconds and less than 3.5 microseconds port-to-port when combined in a Fabric with BlackDiamond® X8 core switches
- Flexibility to serve as either a core or edge switch in the data center
- Powerful cross-platform stacking with 1GbE/10GbE/40GbE Summit models
- Support of Software Defined Networking (SDN) with OpenStack and OpenFlow
"DataChambers provides its customers with a full complement of IT management services and business continuity solutions, protecting their data and ensuring that it is delivered when and where it's needed," said EJ Schwartz of DataChambers. "As we grow our services, it's great to know that by using Extreme Networks Open Fabric data center switches based on ExtremeXOS, we will always have next generation, highly scalable solutions to choose from. The Summit X770 is a highly promising new product with excellent scale for 10GbE, low latency and great features that will ensure the best Quality of Service for our customers."