5 Ways ID Thieves Target You at the Holidays
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The holidays are a busy and hopefully wonderful time for Americans, but those who aren't careful may make it an even better time for identity-theft scam artists.
With holiday sales expected to soar to the $602 billion mark and online sales rising by 15% this year, according to the security firm McAfee, consumers' smartphones, tablet computers and credit and debit cards will be more common targets than usual for ID thieves over the next seven weeks.
"The potential for identity theft increases as consumers share personal information across multiple devices that are often underprotected," says Michelle Dennedy, chief privacy officer at McAfee. "Understanding criminals' mindsets and being aware of how they try to take advantage of consumers can help ensure that we use our devices the way they were intended -- to enhance our lives, not jeopardize them."
To help Americans mitigate the threat of holiday theft, McAfee released this week its 12 Scams For Christmas list, in which the company highlights the dangers and urges special caution for holiday revelers.(FB) or Twitter (TWTR) or phishing emails. Always check out contest details with a retailer, and never fork over personal data, McAfee says. Software that's sent to you without you ever asking for it is particularly suspicious. Travel trouble: Watch out for hotel, restaurant or train or airport Wi-Fi systems that asks you to download software to use their systems. Any legitimate travel port's Wi-Fi won't have you download anything -- you should be able to log right on. If you download software in those circumstances, you're begging to have your financial records compromised through dangerous malware.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV