Chris Lau, Kapitall: Arena and a partner will expand marketing efforts for a weight loss drug, but is there more room to grow?
Shares in Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) soared after the company extended its agreement with its partner Eisai for the company's weight loss drug Belviq. Bearishness had continued to build in its shares with short float of around 26%. The stock recently hit a new low at $4.05. Should investors expect the 17% rally on November 8 to hold?
Arena reported a loss of $0.08 per share, which beat consensus by $0.04 per share. Revenue was $3.6 million. In its quarterly report, Arena said it would double its sales force to 400 representatives by this December.[Read more on Healthcare from Kapitall: Biotech Stocks Climb and Fall on Catalysts in 2013] This will widen the reach to physicians in the US by 65,000. Advertising was also launched last quarter directly to the consumer. And marketing partner Eisai included a 15-day free trial voucher for Belviq.
- 31.5% of product sales, or $1.7M, was recognized in Q3.
- R&D expenses rose to a healthy $14.59 million, up from $11.6 million last year.
- Cash also rose to $180.7 million, up from $156.09 million last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV