Chris Lau, Kapitall: As the holiday season approaches, investors may want to watch these stocks in the event of a Moto G release.
Many analysts have noted that a budget Moto G could put Google’s (GOOG) Motorola unit on track to significantly boost unit sales. If numerous reports prove true, then a Moto G could soon be had for £134.95 off contract (USD $215).
The Moto G will reportedly have these specifications:
- Gorilla Glass from Corning (GLW)
- 1.2Ghz quad-core CPU likely from Qualcomm (QCOM)
- 8GB storage
- 5MP front camera, 720p video recording
- 1.3 MP front-facing camera
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
With the premium phone market already saturated and being subsidized by carriers, the off contract market could be beneficial to suppliers.Looking at Corning Corning recently unlocked shareholder value after Samsung said it would pay Corning an additional $1.4 billion for the LCD glass venture. Corning is already getting access to $1.2 billion in cash held by the venture it had with Samsung. Read more on Tech from Kapitall: Ghosts & Goblins: Should Other Game Publishers Fear Activision? Corning expects to earn $0.33 per share on revenue of $2.1 billion in the third quarter. The company’s board also authorized a $2 billion share buyback through 2015. Shares dipped from the $18.07 high in late October, after Apple (AAPL) said it would use GT Advanced Technologies’ (GTAT) sapphire. The material competes with Corning’s Gorilla glass. Qualcomm dips In the chip space, Qualcomm forecast soft guidance. For fiscal year 2014, Qualcomm is expecting margins to be lighter in the premium smartphone segment. A high concentration of Samsung and Apple phones may be hurting profits. This is why growth in the lower tier phone segment would be good. A successful launch of Moto G could benefit Qualcomm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV