- BioTime’s subsidiary, Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc., completed its acquisition of Geron Corporation’s stem cell assets, including patents and other intellectual property, biological materials, reagents and equipment for the development of new therapeutic products for regenerative medicine. The contributed assets include four cell lines, each with animal proof of concept, from which multiple therapeutic product candidates may be selected by Asterias for development in the fields of neurology, oncology, orthopedics, and cardiology.
- BioTime initiated a clinical safety study of Renevia™ at The Stem Center in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, a patient therapy center, laboratory, and research facility located within the hospital Clinica USP Palmaplanas in Palma. Examinations of the subjects after they received Renevia™ injections have shown that Renevia™ was well-tolerated by all subjects with no serious adverse events or subject withdrawals. All enrolled subjects were released from the study after the final four-week follow-up appointment. The clinical report will be written pending a final check of the data.
- BioTime subsidiary OncoCyte Corporation entered into a Sponsored Research Agreement and a Material Transfer Agreement with The Wistar Institute to collaboratively develop lung cancer diagnostic products. OncoCyte scientists will analyze blood samples obtained from patients in a Wistar clinical study to determine levels of tumor-associated proteins found in the blood samples. The data obtained from the samples received from Wistar's ongoing multi-center study may allow OncoCyte to more rapidly develop a diagnostic test for lung cancer to be marketed in the U.S. and other countries.
- Asterias entered into a Non-Exclusive License Agreement with the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (“WARF”) under which Asterias was granted a worldwide non-exclusive license to use certain WARF patents and WARF-owned embryonic stem cell lines in the development and commercialization of therapeutic, diagnostic and research products.
- BioTime commenced the development of two new products based on its HyStem ® technology platform. The new products are unique formulations utilizing some of the same cGMP components used in Renevia™. The first of these new products is ReGlyde™, a cross-linked thiol-modified hyaluronan hydrogel for the management and protection of tendon injuries following surgical repair of the digital flexor or extensor tendons of the hand. The second new product, Premvia™, is a HyStem ® hydrogel formulation of cross-linked thiol-modified hyaluronan and thiol-modified gelatin for the management of wounds including partial and full-thickness wounds, ulcers, tunneled/undermined wounds, surgical wounds, and burns.
- BioTime entered into an Exclusive Sublicense Agreement with Jade Therapeutics, Inc. permitting Jade to use BioTime’s HyStem ® hydrogel technology as an ophthalmic sustained-release drug delivery platform for the delivery of therapeutic molecules to the human eye. Excluded from the licensed field of use is the use of the HyStem ® technology for use in making punctal plugs, for diagnostic and research reagents, for the delivery of cells with or without any molecules necessary for the therapeutic benefit of those cells, and for non-human applications.
- BioTime consolidated its research products business into a new ESI BIO division, which will now be BioTime’s primary developer, manufacturer and distributor of its growing portfolio of stem cell based research products. This new division includes BioTime’s Singapore subsidiary ES Cell International Pte Ltd. This consolidation will allow for a more focused approach on the development, manufacture and marketing of BioTime’s research products portfolio. Jeffrey Janus, BioTime’s Vice President of Sales and Marketing, will manage ESI BIO and will take on the added role as the Chief Executive Officer of ES Cell International Pte Ltd.
- BioTime appointed Lesley Stolz, Ph.D. as Executive Vice President, Corporate Development. Dr. Stolz will have primary responsibility for interactions with both investors and corporate partners. Additionally, she will focus on identifying and implementing strategic initiatives for BioTime and its subsidiaries. Dr. Stolz has more than 18 years of life science industry experience in corporate and business development.
BioTime Announces Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results And Recent Corporate Accomplishments
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.