Even as Housing Prices Rise, Mortgage Rates Should Stay Low
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Thinking of buying a home heading into 2104?
The real estate market is stabilizing, as more foreclosures and short sales leave the market, and mortgage rates look fairly low going forward.
One fly in the ointment: Home prices may be rising, so buyers don't want to wait too long to lock down a good property before prices rise too high next year -- a real possibility.
The evidence? Two reports out signaling lower mortgage rates but higher home prices.First up is data from the California Association of Realtors, which reports that housing affordability in California has fallen for a sixth-straight quarter. data from Toronto's RateSupermarket.com, a home mortgage Web exchange that shows mortgages rates in the U.S. and Canada should remain low well into next year. "Canadian and U.S. bond yields remain low due to assurances that economic stimulus will remain for the longer term in both countries," the company says in a report out this week. "This will lead to continued downward pressure on yields and, as a result, moderate discounts to fixed mortgage rate options." That might provide some comfort to homebuyers nervous about seeing home prices rise in their state. With mortgage rates relatively low (at 4.23%, according to the Banking My Way Mortgage Rate tracker), and looking to stay that way, homebuyers who act fast may still be able to grab a good deal with a low mortgage interest rate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV