Waste Management (NYSE: WM) is a proud sponsor of America Recycles Day, a program of Keep America Beautiful (KAB), which will take place this Friday, Nov. 15, 2013. America Recycles Day is a nationally recognized day dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the United States. To highlight this day, Waste Management will take part in celebrations across the country, from California to Washington, D.C., to encourage customers to continue their good recycling habits and to recycle the right way for maximum benefit.
“America Recycles Day provides a focused opportunity for our company to highlight the importance of good recycling habits at your home or business and to make sure the materials are indeed recyclable and accepted within your local community,” said Michael Timpane, director of municipal recycling and diversion for Waste Management. “Placing items in recycling bins that are not recyclable slows down the recycling process and increases the cost of recycling for all of us.”
Please remember these three simple things when recycling:
- No containers with food. Containers with food residue are not recyclable. Please remember to wash containers to eliminate food debris. If a container is food-soiled and cannot be washed (i.e. pizza boxes, paper plates, microwave popcorn bags), throw it away with non-recyclable items.
- Liquids and soggy items spoil the load. Moisture soaked items in recycling containers can ruin an entire load of recyclables. Please recycle only clean, dry items.
- Minimize thin plastics. While many forms of plastic are recyclable and acceptable, flimsy plastics such as shopping bags and other types of cellophane bags can jam recycling machines, adding increased costs to recycling operations, unless the plants are specially equipped (check your local recycling program guidelines).
Recycling often and recycling the right way are all part of being a good environmental steward. Because of your support, Waste Management is North America’s largest recycler of post-consumer waste and handled 14 million tons of recovered material in 2012. With your continued support, Waste Management will process more than 20 million tons by 2020.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts