NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While hedge fund managers like Carl Icahn and Dan Loeb are constantly in the headlines for their activist roles, they're not the only ones who can force change upon management.
TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg is with Rajeez Das, principal of Bulldog Investors, who said closed-end fund activism works well, because the value is apparent right away. Meaning that investors know a closed-end fund's net-asset value (NAV), or how much their assets are worth.
When the funds start to trade at a discount to its NAV, that's when Das gets interested. He said they like to accumulate a 7% to 10% stake in funds that are trading with a discount of 10% to 15%.
After he has accumulated a sizable stake, Das said they go on to approach management about the discount, although the reply can be rather mixed.Usually his team suggests tender offers, M&A or buybacks, but depending on the manager, talking isn't always the best solution. It can get ugly when it has to go through shareholder proposals and other means of creating change. Two of Das' top picks are Helios Strategic Income Fund (HSA) and Nuveen Dividend Advantage Municipal Income Fund (NVG). The former currently trades with a 9% discount and the latter has a 14% discount. Coupled with HSA's yield of roughly 8% and NVG's yield of about 5%, investors should get paid handsomely to wait while the discount on the fund shrinks, creating capital return as well, he said.
Das concluded that HSA could return about 10%, plus its dividend over the next 12 months and NVG could return 7%, plus its dividend -- which isn't bad for a municipal bond fund. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV