NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Dividends and buybacks, rather than more meaningful factors such as increased profitability or a strong economy, are behind the current stock market rally, argues Blackrock BLK CEO and Chairman Larry Fink.
For example, Fink says low natural gas prices in the U.S. are creating big demand for non-U.S. companies to build factories here. However, he argues foreign CEOs are reluctant to invest because of the uncertain political environment in the U.S., such as the battle over whether to extend the debt ceiling.
Fink also blamed relatively short CEO tenures for the lack of investment. He says the average CEO lasts just five years, giving them a short period of time to build consensus on their boards of directors, among shareholders and employees. That environment, he argues, CEOs to keep shareholders happy with short term rewards such as dividend hikes or share buybacks rather than making long term investments.
Nonetheless, Fink, who says he just spent eight weeks traveling in the Latin America and Asia, proclaims himself "very bullish on the U.S."
Other issues highlighted by Fink include President Obama's Affordable Care Act. Since healthcare spending accounts for 18% of the economy, how it plays out, "could have a real impact," Fink said. He also returned to a constant theme of his, which is that Americans don't have nearly enough retirement savings. As the world's largest money manager, Blackrock has an obvious stake in getting Americans to increase their investment savings.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV