Language Leader PimsleurA® Finds 70 Percent Of Americans Think English Is Most Commonly Spoken Language In The World, Almost Half Say French Is The Sexiest But Few Are Bilingual, According To New Research
NEW YORK, Nov. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Pimsleur Language Programs today releases its first survey, Americans and Language: Perceptions and Realities, and celebrates 50 years in the language industry . According to the survey, less than 10 percent of Americans are aware that Mandarin Chinese is the most commonly spoken language in the world, and nearly three-quarters (70 percent) of those polled incorrectly maintain that English is the most commonly spoken language, followed by Spanish (14 percent). Yet, the number of people speaking Mandarin more than doubles the number of English and Spanish speakers.
"This anniversary is particularly special to us, as we've seen leaps and bounds with language learning since our inception in 1963. We're thrilled to release the book and Pimsleur Course Manager App, which make learning a foreign language more convenient and achievable," says Robert Riger, Vice President and Director of Pimsleur Language Programs. "The process of learning a language can be daunting to many people, but it doesn't have to be. Pimsleur's audio-based learning system is proven to work and is designed to truly take the learner directly to the heart of the language."
Additional topline survey findings show:
- Despite the uptick in usage of language learning programs, almost three-quarters (73 percent) of Americans are unable to hold a conversation in more than one language.
- Of those who say they are multi-lingual, just under half (49 percent) can have a conversation in Spanish, 15 percent can have a conversation in French, and six percent in German. Only four percent of Americans, respectively, can speak Hindi, Italian, Japanese and Vietnamese.
- Americans have concerns with learning a new language: the biggest challenges cited are difficulty (32 percent) and not having enough time (29 percent). Nearly one-fifth (18 percent) of Americans felt they were "too old" to learn a language; 16 percent were intimidated because they had failed at learning a new language in the past.
- French is the language of love. Nearly half (45 percent) of those polled agree that French is the sexiest language on Earth, compared to only 16 percent who said Italian, English (15 percent) and Spanish (10 percent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV