NEW YORK (
(AAPL) could soon be sourcing microprocessors for its iPhones and iPads that will be "Made In New York." And rival
Samsung will reportedly be helping with the process.
According to the Albany Times Union, Global Foundries is preparing to make the chips at its Fab 8 complex in the Saratoga County town of Malta.
Samsung Electronics is currently manufacturing iPhone and iPad semiconductors in its Austin, Texas facility. It will reportedly help Global Foundries with the roll-out of Apple chip production. The idea is for Apple to have a second source of processor manufacturing for its popular mobile products.
Global Foundries is a privately-held spin-off of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) headquartered in Milpitas, Calif. The company has factories in Germany, Singapore and New York which provide semiconductor manufacturing services for device manufacturers.
It's unclear when the New York facility might begin to produce the new processors. Local officials are hoping an Apple/Samsung/Global deal would prompt Global to build a second manufacturing facility in Malta provide a huge financial boost to the area.
The company is currently in the process of building a $2 billion Technology Development Center (TDC) next to its chip manufacturing plant. The TDC will serve as a facility for Global Foundries and its customers to develop new chip designs.
Global and Samsung are also partners with IBM (IBM) in "Common Platform" in which they share research, development and manufacturing.
The news report didn't specify whether Global Foundries will be making the processors with Samsung as its customer or whether it will sell the chips directly to Apple.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV