Nov. 12, 2013
, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual
travel survey of more than 1,200 U.S. respondents, revealing that 39 percent plan to travel for
this year, up seven percent from those that did in 2012 (32 percent). Of those traveling, 37 percent will flock to the skies, while 57 percent plan to drive to their Turkey Day destination.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click:
Thanksgiving Spending on the Rise
Forty-six percent of travelers plan to spend more on
travel this year compared to 2012, while 44 percent anticipate spending about the same.
- 14% plan to spend more than $3,000
- 21% expect to pay $1,000-$2,999
- 23% are budgeting $500-$999
Shopping malls will be crowded along with roads and runways, as forty-five percent of U.S. respondents plan to take a Black Friday shopping trip, a 12 percent increase from those that anticipated doing so in 2012.
"With a seven percent increase in those planning a
pilgrimage this year, it's clear Americans are hungry for the holiday," said
, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "As more than a quarter of travelers plan to depart the day before
, travelers with flexible schedules will be best served leaving Tuesday or earlier."
Navigating the Stresses of Turkey Day Travel
Tapping Technology for Thanksgiving
- 70% of travelers admit to being stressed by Thanksgiving travel; travelers' top sources of frustration: congested roadways, crowded airports / long security lines, and inclement weather
- 64% plan to travel during off-peak hours to avoid heavy traffic
- The busiest day for Thanksgiving travel will be Wednesday, November 27 (27%)
- 16% will eat at a restaurant on Thanksgiving, with their top cited reason being to avoid cooking
- 8% of travelers will seek to relieve stress by opting to pay for an accommodation rather than stay with family and friends
Fifty-seven percent of travelers plan to use a mobile device to assist their
travel. Among the group, 85 percent will turn to a smartphone, while 47 percent will consult their tablet.
The top five reasons travelers plan to utilize their devices:
Not Everyone Staying at Mom's
- Check the weather (70%)
- Use navigation (51%)
- Research restaurants (40%)
- Check flight status (36%)
- Check-in to a flight (35%)
While 44 percent of those traveling for
plan to stay at the home of family or friends, 34 percent will hunker down in a hotel, and eight percent will rest in a vacation rental.
Most Popular Thanksgiving Destinations
The top U.S. cities travelers plan to visit:
- New York City
- Washington, D.C.
- Los Angeles
- Boston / San Francisco
is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 260 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 125 million reviews and opinions covering more than 3.1 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 34 countries worldwide, including
. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 21 other travel media brands:
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide,
**Source: Google Analytics, worldwide data,
©2013 TripAdvisor, Inc. All rights reserved.