NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- This holiday season consumers are looking for electronics, value-added deals and anything they can purchase online or through their mobile devices.
According to the National Retail Federation, holiday retail sales will rise 3.9% over 2012 to $602.1 billion, fueled by consumers' demand for larger ticket items as well as the growing online shopping experience. However, fiscal concerns as well as any lasting effects of the government shutdown could temper holiday spending, the trade association said.
A few weeks ago Morgan Stanley analysts predicted that the 2013 holiday season would be the worst season for retailers since 2008, the height of the recession.
"Debt dynamics, gains in wealth, and lower gas prices have lifted consumer buying power ahead of the 2013 holiday shopping season, but Congressional discord and balance sheet priorities cloud the outlook. While the ability to spend more is apparent, willingness remains the key question," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a retail industry research note on Oct. 31.As retailers struggle to get shoppers in the door, the Morgan Stanley note predicted that margins would erode this season given the high promotional environment by retailers. "We expect specialty retail
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV