NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With holiday shopping season around the corner, Wall Street did a little shopping of its own on Monday. Retailers Sears (SHLD), Macy's (M), J.C. Penney (JCP) and The Buckle (BKE) moved higher ahead of a busy earnings season for department stores and clothing brands.
Sears led the gains, climbing 5.7% to $59.98, after divesting eight of its Canadian properties for $300.3 million. J.C. Penney was up 4% to $8.56, The Buckle gained 2.5% to $52.13, and Macy's jumped 1.9% to $47.07.
Macy's, the first to report, will issue third-quarter earnings Nov. 13, J.C. Penney on Nov. 20, and Sears and The Buckle both on Nov. 21.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Sears Holdings Corp as a Sell with a ratings score of D. The team has this to say about its recommendation:"We rate Sears Holdings Corp. (SHLD) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SHLD Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: M Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JCP Ratings Report
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BKE Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV