4 Reasons Tech Students Get to Feel Superior
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There was good news on the employment front as the economy generated more than 200,000 jobs in October. But for college graduates looking for jobs, it's tough even with a hard-earned diploma in hand.
According to the Center For College Affordability, about 5 million college graduates are stuck in jobs that don't even require a high school degree, and 48% of U.S. college grads are in jobs that don't require a college degree.
Some graduates are doing better than others.
One of the shortest paths to a stable, lucrative career is by targeting a career in information systems, with 61% of IT grads getting one "guaranteed" job offer, according to a study by the Association for Information Systems and Temple University's Fox School of Business covering 48 universities and 1,200 students. In it, researchers make a compelling case that an information technology degree can really pay off for college grads.From the study:
- 1. Overall job placement levels in the IT industry are "healthy," with an overall job placement level of 78% for those with a college degree (although the study doesn't say how long it takes to get placed).
- 2. Undergraduate and graduate IT students fare well right out of the gate in terms of salary. Undergrads walk into technology industry jobs that pay $57,212, on average, while students with a master's degree earn, on average, $65,394 annually.
- 3. Most IT grads find industry posts linked closely to their college degrees; 73% of new graduates find landing spots in the most common areas of information technology, financial services IT, systems analysts and business and consulting services.
- 4. A major plurality (76%) of college students who land an IT job seem to love their jobs, while another 73% believe they'll have a long future in the industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV