PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- A gift card isn't a cop-out, it's a growing holiday tradition.
According to the National Retail Federation's annual holiday survey conducted by BIGresearch, holiday shoppers planned to spend $28.8 billion on gift cards last year alone. That's an average of $156.86 per shopper, the highest amount in the past decade and up from $155.43 in 2011.
Roughly 81% of all holiday shoppers bought gift cards last year, compared with less than 80% in 2011, and they were planning to spend more with each purchase. The average gift card was worth $43.75, a slight increase from $43.23 the year before.
About 45% who planned to buy gift cards went with the explanation that the cards allow the recipient to choose exactly what he or she wants. That secures just a bit more moral high ground than the nearly 21% choosing gift cards because they were more convenient.Still, there are a whole lot of holiday shoppers who have their pick of reasons not to buy up some pseudo cash. About 9% say they'd rather buy an item on sale than a gift card with a fixed price, while 16% say they're leery of suddenly subjecting their gift to fees and expiration dates that wouldn't exist if they just doled out cash. A full 24% of those of shoppers just find them impersonal no matter how many uses they have or what they're being bundled with. Besides, the card is only as good as the retailer or restaurant issuing it. Gift card monitoring site ScripSmart assigns zero-to-100 scores to gift cards from retailers throughout the U.S. and does a great job of shaking out the duds. With their help, we came up with 10 gift cards that separate a thoughtful gift from a last-minute nightmare:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV