NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Smartphone and tablet users accessing the Internet with their mobile devices now account for more than one-quarter of all Internet traffic, according to Chicago-based digital marketeers Walter Sands.
The company's latest Quarterly Mobile Traffic Report showed 28% of all Internet access now comes from mobile devices; that's a 67% increase from the same period last year.
Despite the overall increase, Apple (AAPL) iPad's share of that Internet traffic actually fell to 15.6% in the third quarter of 2013 from 19.7% a year earlier.
The numbers break down like this:
iPhones now control 31.4% of mobile Internet access, up from 30.7% last year
iPads account for 15.6% of the total, down from 19.7% in the third quarter of 2012
Android phones' access share declined from 42% to 44.1% in the third quarter of 2013
Android tablets usage jumped from only 2% last year to 3.4% in the past quarter.
These results reflect the fact that Apple was in the process of refreshing its tablet line with the new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display while an increasingly large number of less-expensive Android models from companies such as Amazon (AMZN), Google (GOOG), Lenovo and others saw strong showings.
Overall, the survey found that when total smartphones and tablet usage numbers were combined iOS devices registered a loss to 47% in the past year while Android devices scored a small gain to 44.1% of the total.
According to Daniel Laloggia, digital marketing manager at Walker Sands, "Apple's market share remains high, but as Android and other operating systems continue to introduce more competition in the tablet space, the iPad is starting to see a decline in its total%age of market share ." He advised businesses to make sure Web sites are optimized for all devices and operating systems.
Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV