NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Christmas is more than six weeks away, but about half of all consumers are already worrying about how much money they'll spend on holiday swag.
That comes as Capital One (COF) rolls out a study on consumers' holiday shopping expectations with a "good news-bad news" bent: 74% of U.S. adults will make themselves a holiday shopping budget, but 49% already say they may not stick to it.
If the budget doesn't cut it, it's the consumer's friends who will be left out in the cold first. The Capital One survey says 32% are likely to delete a friend from their holiday hopping list if the finances prove too tight, while only 26% will carve their boss out, proving that employment trumps friendship among budget-conscious yuletide shoppers.
"According to our recent survey, 59% of Americans are most likely to blow their holiday spending budget on gifts," offers Amy Lenander, vice president of rewards at Capital One. "But if you're worried your holiday expenses may break the bank this season, consider using your credit card rewards to offset the costs, making sure no one gets cut from your gift list."A better idea would be to keep the card hidden away under lock and key so you don't generate a significant debt this holiday season. Capital One advises having conversations with a significant other over a holiday shopping budget -- that ensures you're on the same page and improves the odds one spouse won't go overboard shopping, knowing that the other spouse is keeping an eye on the bank account.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV