Genworth reports that Americans are "retiring earlier ... but underestimating retirement expenses" once they arrive -- both the result of "unrealistic" expectations.
"Unpredictable retirement dates, compounded by misperceptions about retirement expenses and the uncertain futures of traditional sources of retirement income may leave many retirees at risk for outliving their retirement savings if they don't prepare properly," says Eric Taylor, national sales manager for annuities at Genworth.survey by Wells Fargo (WFC) says, middle-class Americans consider paying off debt a bigger priority than saving for retirement. That's noble, but once the bills are paid, there's little left for the retirement savings account. The Genworth data reveals that 52% of pre-retirees expect their living expenses to decrease in retirement, but actually, 65% of retirees saw their costs rise in retirement. Genworth says health care costs are the main culprit, along with real estate and "money spent on dependents."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV